Landlord Gas Safety Guide

As a landlord you have certain legal responsibilities to help ensure the safety of your tenants. Understanding what you need to do, on top of managing a property and maintaining it, can be a little overwhelming, however, and not something that’s always easy to get your head around.

At M&M Gas Services, we specialise in gas, carrying out inspections and safety checks in rented properties across Gosport and Fareham. If you are a landlord this guide has been written with you in mind, to fill you in on what you need to know and do to legally comply with gas safety in the properties you let out to tenants. 

What certificates do I need as a landlord?

Every landlord needs a Gas Safety certificate for their property, which is also sometimes referred to as a Gas Safety check record. The issue of the certificate is done by a Gas Safe registered engineer, following the inspection of any gas appliances or units in the rented property. If they all meet the required safety standards and are in good working order, a certificate will be issued to the landlord, directly or via their letting agency if they are using one.

As a landlord, you are required by law to have an up-to-date Gas Safety certificate for your property. Not doing so risks a fine of £6000 and even a 6 month term of imprisonment. 

As well as being legally obliged to have this, a Gas Safety check is more than just a tick box exercise. It meets your moral and ethical responsibility as a landlord, as the inspection helps keep your tenants safe and provides reassurance that your property is habitable.

During a Gas Safety check, your Gas Safe registered engineer will check your boiler, your flue and any gas appliances, such as your gas cooker or gas fire. 

How regularly does my Gas Safety certificate need replacing?

A Gas Safety certificate is valid for 12 months, so must be replaced with an updated one annually. Landlords are, however, able to arrange an inspection after 10 months, without losing 2 months of inspection time. If you choose to do this, your certificate will be dated to expire 14 months after the date of your inspection.

What else do my tenants need to know?

Your tenants should be shown the Gas Safety certificate within 28 days of the inspection being carried out and the certificate being issued. You should keep your certificate somewhere safe in case you need to prove you have one, should there be need. As a landlord, you are required to keep a record of a Gas Safety check for at least 2 years.

It’s important, also, that your tenants are knowledgeable about the gas appliances in your property, as this is their home and they are likely to be using them most days. Ensure your tenants understand how the gas fire and cooker work, are aware of the carbon monoxide detector and don’t switch it off, and understand how to work the boiler. 

You should also make sure your tenants have your details or the contact details for their letting agency if you use one, so they can report any problems with the gas central heating or appliances if they arise. This will enable you to deal with them as quickly and safely as possible. 

Before arranging a Gas Safety check, you must have access granted from your tenant. If you are managing the property rental yourself, get in touch with your tenants and explain when you would like to have access. Your tenant can choose whether or not to be in the property when the inspection takes place, and if the time isn’t convenient for them you will need to arrange the inspection for a date and time that suits you both.

Carrying out reliable Gas Safety Checks across Gosport and Fareham

The experienced team here at M&M Gas Services carry out Gas Safety checks in properties throughout the local area. Our skilled, qualified heating engineers are Gas Safe registered and provide a reliable and effective service to landlords and letting agencies alike.  

If you’d like to arrange a Gas Safety check or have any questions about how they work or what’s involved, then simply get in touch. You can call us on tel: 02392366453 or tel: 07913425919, email us at or send us a message online by completing our short contact form.

Or book directly here